When it comes to designing or planning a single-car garage, size matters. Whether you’re renovating an existing garage or building a new one, understanding the optimal dimensions for a single-car garage is important. Let us explore the key factors to consider when determining the size of a single-car garage; we will offer valuable insight to create a functional and practical space.
Purpose For Your Single-Car Garage Size
It is important to understand the specific needs of your single-car garage when it comes to determining its size. Consider the primary reason and how you plan to use the space. Down below, we will list a few key factors to consider:
- Parking: If the main purpose of your garage is to park your car, then make sure the measurements and dimensions are adequate to accommodate your vehicle comfortably. Keep in consideration the width, length, and width of your car. Include any additional space that might be required for maneuvering or opening doors.
- Storage: If the main purpose of the garage is to store items, consider the items you plan to store.
- Combination of Parking and Storage: Most people use their garages for both parking and storage purposes. If you’re one of those people, think about how much space you’ll need for both functions. Balance the size requirements for the amount of storage with the space required for parking your car comfortably.
Single Car Garage Size: Vehicle Dimensions Consideration
Before deciding to build your garage or buy your portable garage, consider the dimensions of your single-car garage size. Consider the length, width, height, and the maneuvering space.
- Length: Measure the length of your vehicle from bumper to bumper. Include any attachments, such as trailer hitches or bike racks. Ensure the garage interior length is sufficient to fit your vehicle without any problems.
- Width: Measure the width of your vehicle. Measure the side mirrors, if they can be folded. Make sure the width of the garage offers enough space for your car to fit comfortably. This will offer easy entry and exit.
- Height: Measure the height of your vehicle. Consider any roof-mounted accessories such as antennas or roof racks. Check that the garage’s interior height is standard to accommodate your vehicle without any clearance issues.
- Door and Maneuvering Space: Consider the additional space required for opening car doors fully. This is crucial if you have larger doors, such as SUV doors or van doors. Allow enough room for passengers to exit and enter the vehicle comfortably. Also, consider maneuvering space for parking and navigating inside the garage.
Single Car Garage Size Dimensions For A Small Car
Here are some commonly used standard measurements for a single-car garage.
- Width: Normally, the width of a single-car garage is about 10 feet to 12 feet. This width offers enough space for a small car to exit and enter the garage comfortably.
- Depth: A single-car garage depth usually ranges from 20 feet to 24 feet. This space will accommodate most small cars while providing extra space for storage or other purposes. If your vehicle is longer or if you might need more space, consider extending the depth to 24 feet or more.
- Height: The standard height for a single-car garage is normally about 7 feet to 8 feet. This height allows for small cars to fit comfortably without any issues.
Single Car Garage Size Dimensions For An SUV
- Width: Normally, the width of a single-car garage for an SUV ranges from 12 feet to 14 feet. These dimensions will offer enough and provide comfortable clearance. Remember the specific width of your SUV when figuring out the width of the garage.
- Depth: The depth usually ranges from 22 feet to 24 feet. Keep in mind that SUVs tend to be longer than small cars; it is recommended that you have additional space in order to provide ample space for maneuvering and parking.
- Height: Standard height for a single-car garage accommodating an SUV ranges from 8 to 9 feet. This offers sufficient space for clearance for taller SUVs. This space is also ample for roof-mounted accessories, such as antennas or roof racks.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many square feet is a single-car garage size?
The square feet for a single-car garage size range from 200 feet to 300 square feet. The exact square feet can differ depending on the layout and dimensions of your garage. As we mentioned earlier, a common single-car garage size is 12 feet by 20 feet, this equals 240 square feet.
- Can a single-car garage be converted into a living space?
Absolutely, you can convert your garage into a living space. You can convert your garage into a guest house or a dwelling unit, make sure you follow the legal requirement.
- Are there any building code requirements for single-car garages?
Yes, there are building code requirements that apply to single-car garages. Specific regulations may vary depending on your specific location and their codes.
- Is it possible to fit additional storage or a workbench in a single-car garage?
Yes, it is possible to fit additional storage or a workbench. Many people choose to maximize their use of their garage space by adding work areas and storage solutions. Make sure you planning on your single-car garage size to have extra space.
Single Car Garage Size: Edifice’s Garages
If you’re looking for a detached garage, look no further than our portable garages and high barn garage. Our garages are perfect for housing and protecting vehicles, ATVs, boats, motorcycles, tractors, or any other riding equipment.
Our portable garages are the perfect garage sheds for any of your vehicle storage needs. Our garage structures are functional and simple. We offer customization, ensuring you get exactly what you need.
High Barn Garage
This garage structure is similar to the High Barn Shed. If you’re looking for more overhead space, then this High Barn Shed is the perfect choice for you. Store all your possessions in the provided extra space above the garage. We also offer customizations for this garage shed.